Needless to say, Lacey (my co-worker) and I made it on our plane and took off to Denver, Colorado for an hour and a half layover. Everything went smoothly and we were able to get on our next plane which took us to Springfield, Missouri.
The purpose of our trip was this: Stephen (my boss) sent us out to Missouri to find a show horse for his six-year-old daughter, Allison, for her to show this year. A couple of months ago we started planning this trip and started lining up some horses that were for sale that we could go look at and ride. We looked at a total of 8 horses while we were there.
We stayed with Geno and Barb's house while we were out there. Geno Middleton is (in my mind) the greatest Fox Trotter Performance trainer there is. He has won more World titles, Breeder's cup titles, and Futurity titles than anyone else. He truly knows how to train a show horse. We were honored when they invited us to stay at their house with them while we were out there. What an amazing opportunity to spend some time with Geno and Barb who are both incredibly talented horse trainers.


Here are a couple of pictures of Geno when he and Barb came out to Utah in October 2007 to help us with our performance horses.
I have always looked up to and respected Geno so much. I just can't tell you how incredible of an opportunity that Lacey and I were given to stay at their house. He is a rather tough looking cowboy and is somewhat unapproachable, but after I have gotten to know him, I have realized what a funny and caring guy he is.
After they picked us up at the airport, we did some work in Springfield (we were looking for a RV to rent for Steve during this year's world show) and then we went to the show grounds in Ava transfer some of our equipment from our old stalls to our new stalls. Well, I guess last week they had a crazy ice storm that came through the area that resulted in very slick roads, extensive damage to the trees, and really slick ice all over the place. At the show grounds it was especially bad and Lacey and I were trying our darndest to not fall down. So, we made the most of our situation and decided to sled down the hill in a bucket:
That night we went out to eat at a place with an all-you-can-eat seafood buffet. There was crab, fish, shrimp, and a bunch of other good stuff including FROG'S LEGS! Geno and Barb told so many funny stories that Lacey and I were laughing the whole time. What great people they are.
Barb and Geno literally live in the boondocks. You drive off the main highway onto a dirt road and follow it down for a couple of miles and then, in the middle of the forest is their house and barn. We were hanging out with a couple of genuine Missouri Red-Neck Hillbillies!
We went to one barn and were able to see the great World Grand Champion stallion, Prince Jester. He has produced many world champions, including one mare that we own. It was cool to see him in real life.
Well, I need to go but I will be posting some more pictures later. I need to get some pictures from Lacey to show you as well.
No comments:
Post a Comment